About Michael Cottrell Furniture & Kitchens
Made in Holt, Norfolk
Michael was born and raised near the town of Holt in North Norfolk. After leaving school he became a joinery apprentice at North Dean Joinery in Holt.
During his six years there, he not only gained his Advanced City and Guilds Purpose Made Joinery (Norwich City College) but also won the Best Student of Carpentry and Joinery Award.
More Training & More Awards!
Michael subsequently studied Furniture Design to HND level at Rycotewood College in Oxfordshire, where he again distinguished himself by finishing top of his year.
Whilst at Rycotewood College, Michael won many prestigious awards and prizes, including:
- The Woodworker Magazine Certificate of Merit for Upright Dining Chair – 1989
- Practical Woodworker Magazine Second Prize for Rotating Display Cabinet, Furniture Design Awards – 1991
- The Rotary Award for Best Contemporary Design
- The Michaelis Cup for Best Piece of Modern Design/Craftsmanship
After leaving college, Michael was fortunate enough to work for Andrew Varah for two years, gathering more experience and learning new techniques. After this he returned to Oxfordshire and worked for Nicholas Dyson Furniture for a further three years.
During his time with Nicholas Dyson, Michael produced high end bespoke furniture including the boardroom table for international communications firm, Cable and Wireless, and batch production work.
In 1996 Michael began work for Matthew Collins Furniture (Oxfordshire). Whilst working for Matthew Collins, Michael had the opportunity to work on very high profile projects, in locations in Europe and around the world.
Return to Norfolk
In 2000, Michael returned to Norfolk to start a family and began his own business, Michael Cottrell Furniture Limited.
The business has flourished and in 2006, Michael moved to larger premises just outside Holt, where he now runs a comprehensive cabinet making and joinery business.
How we work
We try to work as closely as possible with our clients – in particular we are always happy to visit your home, premises or proposed site to discuss your ideas, requirements and wishes.
- An initial measure up is done followed by the production of a proposal drawing – complete with initial estimate of costs.
- Further visits /meetings may be necessary to discuss and refine details so we have a complete understanding of your needs.
- A final design drawing is produced and a quotation based on this.
- A deposit of 40% is required with written confirmation of the order.
- Dates are agreed with you for manufacture, installation and related works.
- The project goes into production- Customers are very welcome to visit the workshop and see their order being made by our expert craftsmen.
- Upon delivery a 30% interim payment is required.
- All installation work is undertaken.
- The final 30% payment is due after completion.
We are always delighted to hear from skilled cabinet makers and joiners who are looking for a change of environment / employment or to further develop their skills.
Please get in touch and we’ll be happy to discuss any upcoming opportunities.